Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jesus and the Woman at the Well



Inspiration from the NIV

Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour., When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, "Will you give me a drink?" (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)

The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (for Jews do not associate with Samaritans.)

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

John 4:6-10


How many times have we missed opportunities? We hear that little voice or feel a little nudge to do something, and we dismiss it? It's gone. Never to be had again. Thank God that He gives us more than one chance. Albeit, the opportunity for that specific thing to say, or person to meet, or job to do may be gone, God gives us chance after chance to hear Him and do His bidding.


I can't count the times where I have felt the urge to go up and speak to someone, offer someone help, or a ride home, Only to talk myself out of it. "Someone else will offer, I don't have time." I really don't know this person, what if I let them in my car and they attack me? I would give this clothes to that lady since they don't fit me, but I might lose weight, so I better keep them. This picture was originally titled "Jesus is Back", but to me, he looks like he's standing there crying out to God, "I'm sorry, I want to help, please give me another chance!"

When I think about these lost opportunities, I don't like me very much. It kind of reminds me of the verse in the Bible (the location slips my mind at this moment), about entertaining angels unaware. How many angels have I missed because of my own fears, or selfishness? Too many I'm afraid.

I pray that when I get to heaven and stand in front of God on judgment day, that He will forgive all of those missed opportunities, but I personally don't think that will happen unless I repent and turn these fears and this selfishness of time and material things over to Him. Thus starting a new lease on life by giving of my time, material things, or whatever God asks me to do not the second nudging or third, but the First.

If you would look at ignoring His nudges or voices, or wishes , whatever you need to call them to get your full undivided attention, and act on it the first time. Any delay is just like disobeying. Take a child for instance. When a child is told to do something, but chooses to ignore and keep on playing, it is considered disobeying correct? The same principle applies. When God is asking us to do something and we dismiss or ignore and keep on doing what we're doing we are like a disobedient child.

************************************************************* *************************************************************

THIS AND THAT--Disappointments Happen

Remember a few posts ago, I told you that I was actually going to start teaching ESL again? I was so excited! I went out to the old tin shed or lean to ( our landlord called it a garage.) LOL. Anyway, its full of wasp nest, cob webs and dirt! Yes, it has a dirt floor and no door, so dirt is all over everything. Anyway, I fought my way all the way to the back where boxes upon boxes are stacked on top of one another and under shelves . I dug and dug through the mounds of boxes until I found my precious 2 yes, I said TWO little ESL books. I was so proud that I had found them. They are like gold to me. Not only because they cost me $60.00 6 years ago, but the knowledge is priceless. I haven't found any easier books to teach "conversational English from anywhere. Back to the reason for the search. My new (they have only been here about 3 or 4 weeks) could not speak ANY English. They were relatives of the people who own the house. The owners decided to let the wife's sister and brother-in-law from Mexico live there and them move into town. Long story short, the couple came over and with sign language wanted to pick up pecans out of our yard. We said yes, and so the "acquaintanceship" got started. The husband got a night job at a dairy. A few days later, I saw him and in broken Spanish and sign language, offered to teach him and his wife English. He seemed very happy about the idea. I told him it would have to be after the first of the year.


A few days ago, I called the "owner" of the house and ask if she had seen her sister, because I hadn't seen them out lately, or their car. She informed me that they had moved to Fort Worth to live. WHAT A LET DOWN! I think I was looking forward to teaching them more than they were to learning. Another opportunity missed. I can't help but wonder if I had started teaching them when I first brought it up if things would have turned out differently. I will never know.

Remember this little post the next time you get an urge to help a person, or say a word of encouragement to someone, you might be "entertaining angels if you carry through.

Good Night All and May God Bless!

Love and Prayers,



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

lynette355 said...

I am so sorry for the let down. You could let salvation army know you would be willing to help teach esl. They may be able to line up people with you.

The Redhead Riter said...

PJ,

I would appreciate your help tonight...my husband is having surgery on Thursday, 1/7 and if you could pray for a successful surgery and speedy recovery, I would appreciate it immensely.

Thanks!