Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Strength in the Holy Spirit



Good Evening to All!

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26

Sometimes we are so overwhelmed with what's happening that we're too weary to lift our heads off our pillows in the morning. Those are times when we can't even find the words to pray. Whether it divorce, infertility, terminal illness, or discouragement in our ability to cope with another day at work or at home with the kids, we're told to pray to God for help. But what if the words just won't come?

I have had many times when I've been standing at the altar in church just crying my eyes and and not even knowing why. I have no complaints about my life, there are no terminal illnesses, no sickness that we can't handle on a daily basis like my husband's arthritis and heart problems in my family. We have a normal family life, and yet the tears just seem to well up inside and I burst out in tears and my soul cries out, and the Holy Ghost takes over and sounds just come rolling out. I sometimes wonder if my spirit is crying out as intercession for someone else whom I don't know about, because I am totally focused on God and have no specific purpose for prayer in my mind.

Other times I just have problems saying what is on my heart. The words are in my head, it's like my brain is wanting me to say one thing, but my heart says something else, so I just let God take control.

Paul knew that the Romans faced the question of "what if the words just won't come, just as we do today. Our troubles weaken us, and we are so confused, upset, or agitated that we can't find words to describe our feelings. All we can do is cry, Abba! Father! "Daddy!"

Paul says, "Don't worry! The Holy Spirit will take care of you and the problem." The Holy Spirit helps us pray clearly even when we speak in groans and cries. He helps us to place our focus upon God and if we allow Him to, bring forth the sounds and utterances that God can understand, whether we can or not. To the "human ear" it may sound like groans, or gibberish, but to God it is music. He loves for us to pray in the Spirit. One thing is for sure, as long as we are praying in the Spirit, or "with the Help of the Holy Spirit", we know we are praying in God's will, and we put our trust in God that He will do what's best for our situation, whatever our situation is. Sometimes we don't even know that we are having problems and yet God sees them and when we pray in the Spirit, we may be praying about them.

When we're in need of comfort for those times when we can't pray because we're overwhelmed with grief, we should forget about putting our wants and needs into the "right" words. Don't use this as an excuse for not praying. God knows what's in our hearts and minds. We can say, "God, I don't know what to say, what to pray." The Holy Spirit will speak for us. Just a little note, it doesn't really have to be just when we're overwhelmed with grief. The Holy Spirit will help us pray anytime we allow Him . I have done it many times. I'm not good with words, I know what I want to say, but a lot of times my brain and mouth just don't seem to work together, so I start focusing and concentrating on God, and let the Holy Spirit take over. He can get across what my heart is wanting to say much better than I can anyway.

When those you love show weaknesses in destructive areas or have troubles that seem insurmountable to them and to you, ask the Holy Spirit to intercede for them. Again, focus upon the Lord, and let the Holy Spirit take control of your heart. The utterances and groanings which come from your heart and out of your mouth will cry out to the Lord about the situation. God Will understand and will act. The Holy Spirit will guide you and teach you into all truth. This includes what to pray about specific problems, but we MUST remember that He will only do what WE ALLOW Him to do.

God hears our groans and heartfelt sighs as well as the utterances of our hearts without the words.

Out of the abundance of the Heart the Mouth speaketh.

Good Night to All and May God Bless!


Share/Bookmark
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is exactly what I needed to hear this morning; thnx

The Redhead Riter said...

"we know not what we should pray for"

I have a long list. I want to make sure he doesn't get confused and give me something I don't want LOL He seems to do that too often.