Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Gift of Children




Good Evening to All!

The following devotional is near and dear to my heart as I am one who has never been able to have children. For many years I was a very "self-pitying angry" person. I could not even stand to look at a pregnant woman without crying my eyes out. At the time, I was not a serious Christian. Yes, I knew there was a God, and I knew he helped "others", but obviously "He didn't want to help me, (being facecious) so I was an angry person. I still get angry now, but not at God. I finally realized that me not having a child was a good thing. After all, I had been married 3 times, waitressing to support myself in-between husbands. I wouldn't be able to support a child on what I made. At least that's what I convinced myself. I still get angry when I see or hear of parents mistreating their kids, whether it's by neglect, or abuse. I get VERY angry over abortion, because there are too many loving couples in this world that want to adopt. I find myself questioning God, "why did you allow these people who don't know what it means to be a parent, or to love a child the way You love us, to have the PRIVILEGE of have a child and not me? Well, now that I have had my pity-party, it's time to end my "monologue on a positive note. I know God knew what He was doing, because truly, I don't really think I ever "grew up". I am very immature in a lot of ways. Another thing is I don't hink I would have the patience for children or grandchildren now. I used to kid around and say that God was going to do me like he did Sarah and wait until I was Really far up in age, then allow me to have a child, but I'm glad that didn't happen. Of course I still have about 34 years to go before I reach the age Sarah did. LOL! Oops! Time to get on with the real reason for this blog. Tonight's devotional.

Today's Seed: "Then God remembered Rachel; he listened to her and opened her womb."
Genesis 30:22

As you read this seed, you too may be praying that God would remember you and open your womb.

For those of us who are not able to conceive, it can take a long time and a lot of trials before we realize that just because God doesn't bless us with a child of our own does not mean he as forgotten us.

We will have to grieve not only being childless, but also that we will never be grandmothers. That is something we may not think about until our friends start having their own grandchildren. We need to remember what a gracious God we have. He takes away our deepest hurts and replaces them with an everlasting joy, if we allow him the opportunity.

Recognizing that childlessness may be God's plan is hard, but sometimes God has other plans for us--plans that he considers more important than our own desires. Accepting his plan with a joyful heart can be difficult.

As we allow God to work in and through our lives, we will recognize that we have a choice. We can choose to let the things that happen to us make us better or bitter. Acceptance and trust in the Lord are key to making the right choice. Each experience he plans for us is designed to help us become better. It is a privilege to be a part of God's perfect plan, and a privilege to be remembered by such an awesome God.

Dig Deeper: The Hebrew word for "remember" is zakar, which means to be mindful, to be aware. In the Bible "remember" is used to express concern and to act with loving care. Our Father in heaven always remembers and cares for us.


Background Bulb: when Sarah was well beyond the baby-bearing stage, God promised her a child. She laughed. And, yet, she could not resist "helping" God accomplish this plan. She gave her maid to her husband and had a surrogate son through their relationship. Later that lack of trust caused pain to Sara's whole family. as we struggle through disappointing times, it can be difficult to wait on God's timing. Remember that he is mindful of you and his time is perfect.

S
prout & Scatter: If God grants us children of our own, we can train them. If God does not give us our own children, he often places us near children who need extra care. Special relationships are possible with nieces, nephews, godchildren, neighbors, and the kids and teens at church or our local school. We can become the trusted friend a teen turns to as she and her mom struggle through the growing -up years, or we can be a big sister to an inner-city child. These relationships would not be possible if we had children of our own. It is an honor to be a part of their lives.

Think about it: What are you waiting on God to remember?

Who could you mentor while you wait?

Prayer Pot: Father, help me to pray...They kingdom come thy will be done.....(Insert your thoughts).

Take-Away Idea: Even in the darkest moments, God remembers to give gifts to his children.


Good Night to All and May God Bless!

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Matt5verse6 said...

Thank you for sharing you heart! As I read I was reminded of Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." The cross references are fantastic too like: Isaiah 55:8-9. Praise God!

Wishing you the best.