Thursday, March 31, 2011

"CHRISTLIKENESS OF CHARACTER" Part 3


Good Evening to All!

I hope I still have y'all hanging in there on this "series" because the information just seems to be getting better and better. Our first subtopic tonight is Humility.

Do you want to hear something sad? I looked on Google Images for everything under the sun having to do with humility in a modern setting, and found one picture that "sort of " pictured it, but not quite. To me, it doesn't say much for this old world when no one wants to paint pictures or photograph pictures of people doing humble acts, or being meek. All I could find along these lines were pictures of the "foot washing ceremonies and pictures of Christ being humble. That tells me there is definitely an attitude adjustment needed in this old world.

How many times have I gotten upset in my life because "I" didn't get credit for something "I" did? "I wrote that report, so my supervisor should have told the main boss it was me rather than "her" getting the pat on the back!" "What a rotten attitude! I worked so hard and no one even said thank you!" (Stinkin' thinkin'!)

Did you know that as much as we would like to blame the devil for all of the bad things that happen, it's not all his doing? We are our own worst enemy. Our fleshly desires and attitudes can get us in a whole lot of trouble. Let's learn a little about "Humility".

The definition of humility according to Random House College dictionary is: the quality of condition of being humble; modest sense of one's own importance, rank, etc. Synonyms or words meaning the same for this word are lowliness, meekness, and submissiveness. The Antonym or opposite is pride.

5. "Humility" Philippians 2:8 says: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, an d became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. The Message Bible says it this way: When the time came, he set aside the privileges of deity and took on the status of a slave, became human! Having become human, he stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. He didn't claim special privileges. Instead, he lived a selfless, obedient life and then died a selfless, obedient death—and the worst kind of death at that—a crucifixion.

Human perspectives on humility distort the idea, often "humbling" people by loveless actions that rob them of dignity and nobility. Christlike humility is manifested in the freedom of God's Son to affirm the fullness of ALL God has placed in Him, without needing to flaunt, prove, or push it thorough self-advancement. Jesus' complete absence of any need to "clutch" for power or attention is manifest humility. It is the royal spirit that the King of heaven Himself displayed in servantlike graciousness. Just as Christ's humility received ultimate exaltation (vv. 9-11) so our call to "humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up"(James 4:10) points to the way for the rise of God's highest purpose in each of us Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (10) That at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; (11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. To me, those 3 verses are self-explanatory so I won't reiterate with the Message Bible.

Humbling ourselves opens us up to increased grace (v. 6) But he giveth more grace Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. (1Peter 5:5) Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

Childlikeness is the doorway to to the dynamism of "kingdom come" in our life and service . (Matthew 18:4) Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

This little paragraph sure give cause to rethink our attitudes when we start wanting a "pat on the back" or an "attaboy or girl". We should take time to remember that God hasn't forgotten and He sees what we are doing. If we do what we are supposed to and have the attitude He expects from us, He will cause us to have our just reward. I don't know if I worded that correctly, but what I am saying is that God will give us our reward. Yes, our rewards are stored up in heaven, but God wants us to prosper on earth as well, so if we obey Him and keep the right attitude and spirit about us He will pour blessings out on us here as well.

We need to keep "pride" locked out of the heart and open the floodgates of humility from within.

I was hoping to get another subtopic or two in, but I have been having problems with my browser crashing every time I turn around, so I think I'll call it quits for the night. Two and one half hours is long enough to fight with a browser! LOL! I'll try and make up for it tomorrow and keep the Bible Seed for Monday.

Good night to All and May God Bless!

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Rae said...

First off I wanted to say Thank you for your wonderful comment that you lfet on my blog! It meant a lot to me.
Second I loved this post. I find myself feeling the same way when I dont get credit for something. Something we all need to work on and Matthew 18:4 really spoke to me! Thank you again