Thursday, July 21, 2011

"THANK A PASTOR"


Good Evening to All!

Have you ever thought about why your preacher pushed so hard at getting you to understand the meaning of salvation and the route to get there? Not to mention trying to guide you on the straight and narrow.

I have scriptures for just that purpose. Let me enlighten you, as I was enlightened by our "lay-preacher" last night in the absence of our precious Pastor. Let me say that I have a new found respect for my Pastor since last night's service. I have always had a great respect for my Pastor, but it didn't really soak in until last night the mental stress and the heart full of stress that our Pastors go through before.

I have always heard that Pastors would be held accountable to God for souls which they had the opportunity, but did not try to reach, but not until last night did I learn the scriptures for it.

One such scripture is Ezekiel 3:27-19. This is where God made Ezekiel a "spiritual watchman" over His people (the house of Israel). "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear a word from My mouth, and give them warning from Me: When I say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die; and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked form his wicked way, to save his life, that same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. Yet, if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn form his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but you have delivered your soul.

Ezekiel 33:2-7 says: '"Son of man, speak to the children of your people, and say to them: When I bring the sword upon a land, and the people of the land take a man from their territory and make him their watchman, when he sees the sword coming upon the lad, if he blows the trumpet and warns the people, then whoever hears the sound of the trumpet and does not take warning, if the sword comes and takes him away, his blood shall be on his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet, but did not take warning; his blood shall be upon himself. But he who takes warning will save his life. But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman's hand.' So you, son of man: I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore you shall hear a word from My mouth and warn them for Me'".

The New Testament Follows suit in the Charge of the Man of God

2 Timothy 4:1-5-- I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all long-suffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. This is telling me it is "our" responsibility as children of God to witness to those who may not know of Him or His love, and Pastors and Evangelists' responsibility to guide their flocks to and help them stay on the path of righteousness. As He will be accountable to God for those who he did not attempt to "enlighten on the subject of God's love and the Plan of Salvation.

Now I know the above passage was Paul talking to Timothy, but it is meant for our preachers and evangelists of today as well. We must remember that God is the same yesterday, today and forever. His Word is settled in heaven. Therefore if it is written in God's Word it is just as important for us today as back then.

Hebrews 13:17 --Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your soul, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you. In this passage, he is referring to our Pastors, as the "ruling over us in a spiritual sense.

I'm sure there are more scriptures to back up this topic, but I wanted to leave some room for my 2 cents worth.

As I said at the beginning, I have found a new respect and appreciation for what my Pastor does. I'm always "kidding him about stepping on my toes, because a lot of times it seems like he is speaking directly to me. Now I will actually go up and "thank him for stepping on them". If he doesn't, who will? If I am feeling convicted in my spirit enough to feel like he is speaking to me, then it is definitely coming from God and I need to hear it.

Next time the preacher says something that you feel is directed toward you, go up and thank him for it after church. I know these services cannot be popular or easy to preach. I have seen people get so upset, that they quit coming to church not with my present preacher, but I've seen it happen.

It is not the Pastor's "job" to tell us what we want to hear it is his job to tell us what God wants us to hear, and that is how to live for Him and get to heaven. Unfortunately for some those are two conflicting ideas, for they want their cake and to be able to eat it too.

Remember, the closer you come to God the more similar your desires come to His. The "sooner the better", I always say.

Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
Matthew 24:43-45

Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
Matthew 25:12-14

Good Night to All and May God bless!

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Christie Cottage said...

I was just thinking on these scriptures yesterday.

Sometimes after church we will discuss that the preacher was talking to us and someone will say, OH no, that was directed at me. I think that means #1 we were paying attention #2 We all needed to hear it!

Have a blessed day!

<><
http://christiecottage.blogspot.com