Thursday, March 1, 2012

"SPIRITUAL WARFARE - POWER OF THE TONGUE"


Good Evening to All!

Tuesday night, we discussed "The Gift of Words". Tonight I would like to go a little deeper and talk about "Powerful Words".

In this passage, Paul is talking to the Corinthians. (1) Now I myself, Paul beseech you, by the gentleness and consideration of Christ [Himself; I] who [am] lowly enough [so they say] when among you face to face, but bold (fearless and outspoken) to you when [I am] absent from you! (2) I entreat you when I do come [to you] that I may not [be driven to such] boldness as I intend to show toward those few who suspect us of acting according to the flesh [on the low level of worldly motives and as if invested with only human powers.] (3) For though we walk (live) in the flesh, we are not carrying on our warfare according to the flesh and using mere human weapons.

(4)
For the weapons of our warfare are not physical [weapons of flesh and blood], but they are mighty before God for the overthrow and destruction of strongholds, (5) [Inasmuch as we] refute arguments and theories and reasonings and every proud and lofty thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God; and we lead every though and purpose away captive into the obedience of Christ the Messiah, the Anointed One).

Our minds and our mouths are such battlefields. Yes I know that it is actually supposed to be conveyed that the mind is the battlefield, but our mouth get us into trouble quicker than anything, because most of speak before we think. We don't think about the consequences of our words.

If we would discipline ourselves to think before we speak our lives would be so much better. Not only our lives, but anyone we come in contact with. It is so sad that words have so much power in them. According to Gods Word our tongue has the power of "life and death" in it.

We can use our words to enhance someone's life, or tear it down. I have been on both ends of the spectrum. My dad used to tear me down every chance he got, (when he was intoxicated), and I have a church family now that does their best to uplift each other at every opportunity.

We also need to use our Words to encourage others to come to Christ without "hammering " them into others. Words can be so compelling, yet with just a different tone in our voice or one wrong word, they can be just as repelling. I know this because I have had it happen to me luckily YEARS ago. Something was said about the way I dressed and it made me shy away from church for a good while, until I met the right people who knew just what to say to help me back on the path to Christ.

I cannot figure out for the life of me why it works this way, but for some reason, the hateful scarring words last a life time without even being reminded of them, yet the uplifting words tend to be fleeting. I mean we have to be reassured of them quite often. I guess it is because the hurtful words cut so deep that the positive words act like a band aid that is constantly having to be reapplied to cover the wound.

I must get on a positive note though. Words can be used for good rather than destruction. When we use words to change minds and rebut arguments that oppose God, we defend our faith and our God. The thing is, in the above passage, Paul is speaking about weapons. He is talking about weapons stronger than any "man-made" weapons. He is talking about weapons that come straight from God. He is talking about faith, prayer, love and kindness. These are what he came against false preacher and teachers with who was trying to entice others into sin such as immorality. He used the Old Testament Scriptures as well to refute false arguments.

As I earlier spoke, if we would think before we speak this would give us time to understand our true motives for wanting to say what we are going to say, as well as the correct way to put it. We must really take care of what we say and how we say it when we are speaking to others about Christ. As we will be held accountable to God for everything we say and do in the end. If we become a stumbling block for someone and they don't come to Christ because of what we say, we will answer for it on Judgment Day.

Calm but powerful words help others see the truth when they hold fast to


intellectual pride or poor arguments. I just haven't developed the confidence nor the knowledge of God to be able to make people understand. Although you know what? A thought just came to me. It's not my job to convince people. It is my job as a Christian, a disciple of Christ to plant seeds of God's Word in the hearts of people. God Himself, will draw them to Him. Again though, God's Word should come from me to others as seeds.

My challenge to you this week-end starting tomorrow is see how many positive things you can say to people to brighten their days. How many people can you say something to and make them smile? I guarantee the more you make others smile, the more you will smile.

Good Night to All and May God Bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PJ you are so right when you said, "Although you know what? A thought just came to me. It's not my job to convince people. It is my job as a Christian, a disciple of Christ to plant seeds of God's Word in the hearts of people. God Himself, will draw them to Him."

The resaults are ENTIRELY in HIs hands... al we are to do is be faithful in taking His word to others... He;ll take care of the rest. Lord bless you.