Monday, March 19, 2012
"WATER BAPTISM - IMPORTANT TO SALVATION"
Good Evening to All!
Tonight, I hope I'm not "diving" in too deep of water, because even in certain circumstances, even experienced swimmers drown. The subject I have chosen to talk about tonight is Water Baptism.
The reason I bring this up, is because in the present society, it is becoming more and more common place to hear people say that getting baptized with water is not necessary anymore, that it is "just symbolic".
The thing is, there is a lot of "typology" in the Bible. There is quite a bit of symbolism, but that doesn't mean that it's not necessary. We look at the Cross, the first thing that pops into our heads is Salvation. It is a symbol. The dove as symbol of the Holy Spirit, and on and on.
WATER BAPTISM IS NECESSARY
NOTE: An asterisk (*) denotes the most important scriptural references under a certain topic (in addition to the verses actually quoted).
1. Significance and Necessity-- "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved"
"Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God". (John 3:5)
Repent, and be baptized every one of your in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins . . ." (Acts 2:38).
"And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord" (Acts 10:48).
"For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ" (Galatians 3:27).
Numbers 19:1-4, 9 ;*Acts 22:16; *Romans 6:3-4; *1 Corinthians 6:11; *Colossians 2:11-13; *Titus 3:5; *1 Peter 3:20-21; *1 John 5:6, 8.
2. For Repentant Believers--"Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him . . . Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance" (Luke 3:7-8). In case you aren't quite sure what that meant, I looked it up in the Message Bible, and this is what it said: When crowds of people came out for baptism because it was the popular thing to do, John exploded: "Brood of snakes (vipers)! What do you think you're doing slithering down here to the river? Do you think a little water on your snakeskin is going to deflect God's judgment? It's your life that must change, not your skin.
"Repent and be baptized every one of you..." (Acts 2:38)
"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized" (Acts 2:41)
*Matthew 3:6-8; Mark 1:5; *Mark 16:16; *Acts 8:12, 36-37; Acts 10:47-48; Acts 16:14-15; *Acts 18:8; *Acts 19:5
As you can see, God put a lot of thought about baptism into His Word. He would not have put it in there if it wasn't important. God is definitely a NO-Nonsense God. Everything He says has an important meaning to it. He says it and we are to abide by His wishes if we expect to be saved and enter into His kingdom.
For those of you out there who have been in the train of thought that you don't need to be baptized, I hope you will read this post, then read the scriptures provided about the subject. I took them right from the King James Version of the Bible. After that I hope you will reconsider and be baptized.
The answers to last night's Bible Challenge " Creation" are as follows:
1. b) earth and sky (Genesis 1:1)
2. c) "Let there be light." (Genesis 1:3)
3. a) third (Genesis 1:9-13)
4. d) none of the above (they are for signs) (Genesis 1:14)
5. c) sixth (Genesis 1:26-30)
6. c) the land creatures (Genesis 1:24-31)
7. False--He made man in the image of Himself (Genesis 1:26)
8. that it was very good (Genesis 1:31)
9. c) to have children (Genesis 1:27-28)
10. b) with a pervasive mist (Genesis 2:6)
I hope you did well, learned some, and had fun!
Good Night to All and May God Bless!