Tuesday, December 18, 2012

COMMANDED TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER

 Good Evening To All!

The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth;  (2)  For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever.
(2 John 1:1-2)

The Message states it in this way:  My dear congregation, I, your pastor, love you in very truth.  And I'm not alone--everyone who knows the Truth that has taken up permanent residence in us loves you.
(2 John 1:1-2)
  
In my research, I have not definitively understood whether John was speaking to a specific person, or to a group of believers.  According to my Amplified Bible commentary, 2 John is addressed to "the elect (chosen) lady (Cyria) and her children."  Though we don't know if this "lady" was an individual or a group of believers who collectively comprised a church, we do know that John loved this person or these people dearly.  
John reminded these people that God didn't consider loving one another an option.  He went into further detail by looking at it from God's perspective. "And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments". (2 John 1:6)
 John shows us the process by which the Word of the Lord can penetrate our hearts and take root.  The first step is that we have to know the truth.  For it is by God's grace that we can love others.   
2 John 1:3 (KJV) says Grace be with you, mercy and peace, from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father in truth and love. 

He continues by admonishing us to walk according to His commandments,   (John 1:4-6 KJV).  I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father.  (5) And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.(6) what love consists in is this:  that we live and walk in accordance with and guided by His commandments (His orders, ordinances, precepts, and teaching).  This is the commandment as you have heard from the beginning, that you continue to walk in love [guided by it and following it].[] Amp.ver

Lastly, we must abide in the Truth, who is Christ.  Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by Me. (John 14:6)    When He speaks of truth,  He tells us "For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.  This is a deceiver and an antichrist.  (8) Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.  (9) Whosoever transgresseth and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.  He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.  (10) If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither  bid him God speed:  (11) For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. (2 John 1:7-11)

One example that He brings up is Matthew 25:35-40
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.  This passage tells me that this is one example of how Jesus wants us to show love.


All through the Bible, God shows us examples of "how to love" the ultimate being coming to earth Himself as a human, going through all of the abuse which we as humans did to Him and dying so that we, being the sinners that we are could join Him in heaven.

When it comes right down to it, I guess the best way to show love to others is to treat others the way you would want them to treat you.    If you want others to listen to what you have to say, then be a good listener to others.  If you want courtesy, then show others courtesy, if you want respect, then by all means,show others respect.

God's lessons on love are not hard to understand.  We simply must not let our fleshly desires and carnal minds get in the way.  

We are spiritual beings.  Our flesh and our spirits will continually be at war with one another.  We just must choose which we will allow to rule us.  God would like to see our spirits guide us and Satan would rejoice to see our fleshly, carnal side take over.    Don't let the picture to the side fool you.  The choices are not tough if you think about where you want to spend your eternity.

My Question to you tonight is... Which one will you choose?

 Good Night to All and May God Bless!
 
Share/Bookmark
 

1 comment:

Frank E. Blasi said...

An excellent post on love.
And thank you for inviting me into your circle.
May you and your family have a lovely Christmas.
God bless,
Frank.