Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bible Challenge - Prayer, the Priority

Good Evening to All!

The first book being " Bible Challenge" by Daniel E. Harmon and the Devotion coming from Beth Moore's "Voices of the Faithful" Book 2.

One of these days, I would love to figure out a way for y'all to be able to answer the questions to the Bible Challenge right on the post, and then maybe give a prize to the first one with all the correct answers. Well, that's in the future. As for now just for your "peace of mind", general knowledge and hopefully enjoyment, this weeks Bible Challenge is Books of the Old Testament Part 2. ***You will notice that quite a few of the questions do not have scripture hints. This is because I cannot give them without giving away the answers. If you don't have a Bible to look them up in, Free Audio Bible online is a site where you can "search the Bible for key words, passages and so forth. Also just for information, you can also "listen and read the Bible on this site also. I use it all the time.

1. The term "scapegoat" ("escape goat") come from an Old Testament Commandment to sacrifice a goat for the removal of sin. Which book describes this? (Leviticus 16:5-10)

a) Leviticus
b) Numbers
c) Deuteronomy
d) Nehemiah

2. Which Old Testament book is largely a love story, exemplifying both romantic love and love and respect for elders?

3. How many chapters are in Proverbs?

4. The 1960s pop hit "Turn, Turn, Turn" ("For everything...there is a season...") is based on what book and chapter of the Bible?

5. When we speak of "the handwriting on the wall," which Old Testament
book are we recalling?
a) Genesis
b) Job
c) Daniel
d) Jonah

6. Which prophet wrote Lamentations?

7. Lamentations laments the destruction of (Lamentations 1:8)
a) Babel
b) Babylon
c) Jericho
d) Jerusalem

8. What is the shortest book in the Old Testament?

a) Obadiah
b) Jonah
c) Micah
d) Nahum

9. The prophet Nahum heaped condemnation on what city? (Nahum 1:1)

a) Jerusalem
b) Jericho
c) Tyre
d) Nineveh

10. The book of Habakkuk

a) begins and ends with psalms
b) begins and ends with complaints
c) begins with a complaint and ends with a psalm
d) begins with a condemnation of Israel and ends with a prayer

Good luck on the Challenge and "happy hunting" I hope you will gain valuable knowledge during your quest for the answers.

******************************************
I just received a "belated" birthday present from one of my best friends. It is full of wonderful stories of inspiration and devotions. I would like to share one of them with you tonight.

I love the statement Beth Moore wrote before starting the month of January's devotions. She said, " Even if you and I don't get our words right, if our hearts are right, God hears them.

Well, I partially agree. God definitely hears our prayers if our hearts are right, but to Him there is NO SUCH THING as the "wrong words". As long as we are talking to Him it doesn't matter how we say it. There is a song which I dearly love called "I Am A Friend of God". Friends don't have to speak "the right words" to each other. I talk to God just as though I am talking to you, or my husband, or anyone else. I carry on a regular conversation with Him. I know for a fact He hears me because He has answered my prayers (requests). Not audibly of course, (I'm not saying that can't happen, it just hasnt' happened to me), but I get answers to my prayers. If I'm needing help in talking to someone, if I'm needing to be healed, if I'm needing help financially I have always received an answer. Sometimes it was no, sometimes it was wait, but always an answer.
Now, on with the Devotion. Prayer the Priority

This book was compiled while Beth Moore was in the Mission Field across our world.

How important is prayer?

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." James 5:16b

We received word that our translator could not go with us to an unreached city where we hoped to start future ministry. Feeling God's leadership to keep the appointment, we spent the travel time frantically practicing basic Russian and asking God to miraculously equip us to communicate. The meeting with the city leader was a challenge, but successful. It was over a year later, however, that we learned the true miracle of that meeting when the leader told us, "As I watched you struggle to communicate and saw your hearts of love, I began to question why a family would come from the West to the middle of nowhere to help me. there must be a God who loves me very much. I decided to make room in my life fore Him. "Dumbstruck and convicted, we realized that our initial proayers had been focused on our inadequacies, not on the salvation of this man. We had forgotten the most important thing!

We all understand that prayer is crucial to world missions, but we sometimes forget to pray or even lose sight of what to pray for. With millions lost with no access to the Gospel, our intercession must be daily. countless lives hang in the balance! We need to ask anew for God to "teach us to pray" (Luke 11:1, NASB).

This is where the disciples asked Jesus to teach them "how to pray", and he taught them the "LORD's Prayer. What it is saying is when you pray to give 3 elements to your prayers or "requests". First to Acknowledge God in His greatness and give Him Praise. Second make your requests known to Him by just asking Him in simple direct terms. No need for eloquent speech. and last but not least give Him thanks. Thank Him for what He is about to do for you (answering your prayers) which shows faith, and thank Him for the things He has done for you in the past. Letting Him know you remember and appreciate Him.
There is NOTHING difficult about praying. It's no different than going to your parents and asking them to do something for you. They might tell you no, or to wait, or might help you right away, but they always answer you and you don't have to have a prepared speech to ask them, and the same goes for God. Do me a favor, and try it. Just sit down in a quiet place and start talking to God. The more you do it, the easier it will become. I talk to Him even when I'm driving down the street. I used to worry about what people would think if they saw me talking to myself, but that doesn't bother me anymore. For one thing, how do they know I don't have one of those ear pieces for a cell phone or a hands free phone in my car? Anyway, I'm not saying you need to do that, just get in the habit of talking to Him like you love Him and consider Him your friend.

Well, I didn't mean for this post to go on and on, but I just couldn't resist getting started on sharing my new Book. Thank you Neita Ashford. This is my new thing. I'm wanting to start a collection of Devotional and Inspirational Books. This makes my second Beth Moore Book. I've got a good start on my "Christian Library", as I have quite a collection of Joyce Meyer's Books, one Joel Olsteen, and several other authors, about 10 different Bibles several Christian fiction books. It is really beginning to shape up.
Several books I have have come from the sweet and generous bloggers who do give-aways. I am hoping to start doing reviews and give-aways myself soon so that I might reciprocate the generosity of my fellow bloggy friends. (I got that term from a dear friend and fellow blogger who is no longer blogging, but is with me in "spirit". Even though I know she is no longer blogging I keep wanting to go visit her blog and have to remind myself she's not there. Miss you Yaya!

Good Night to All and May God Bless!


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Ely Biado said...

Nice post. Can you read some of my post too.