Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ask, Seek, and Knock for the LORD



Ask Seek Knock

Jesus said, "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you shall find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Luke 11:9-13

How many times have I gotten in trouble because someone assumed I knew what they wanted me to do or say without them telling me? I have said more than once, "I'm not a mind-reader. you have to ask me or tell me what you want first. Well, God is a mind-reader, and a heart-reader. I have to admit I get kind of agitated when I hear people say, "He knows what I want in my heart, why should I have to ask Him?" The point is, if they would take time to read God's Word, they would see that he enjoys having a personal relationship with us, which requires having conversations with Him and asking Him for His advice, His help, His intervention. He wants us to rely COMPLETELY upon Him and to do that we MUST ASK for His help. I'm not saying all you have to do is ask Him for anything. You must understand that He will give us what we need spiritually and carnally. He won't give us a new car just because we want it. If our hearts are right and according to His will, then He will give us what He thinks we need. You don't expect your earthly father to do everything for you without asking him for help, so why should the heavenly father not be able to expect the same respect? Yes, I believe this is a form of respect. Asking your Father (heavenly or earthly) for help is admitting to them you don't know everything, and that you could use some extra "input" and help in your life. It's giving them permission to be part of your life. He says to Ask and we shall receive. He does NOT say "ask if you want to ".

To Seek is to be diligent in your search for the truth, studying God's Word, and Praying to our Father. Just reading or "skimming the Bible is NOT seeking. Years ago, I thought I was such a good Christian because I went to church. I never opened my Bible unless I was in church. That's not seeking. Later on, (10 years ago) I started BACK going to church, read A LITTLE in my Bible at home, that's NOT seeking. As time has gone by, I have begun to realize what seeking is. It is Going to church, Hitting the altar and praying your heart out. Seeking is Delving into the Word, studying it, dissecting it, researching different translations, and before any of that, Praying for God to open up your understanding. That IS seeking.

Knocking allows a door to be opened between us and God. He will not come into our hearts uninvited. He will not force His way in. As I said earlier He wants personal relationship with us and He wants it to be a willing relationship on our part. He created the angels to do his bidding without question, but His biggest yearning is for us to come to Him willingly. By knocking (asking Him to come in to our hearts) that shows willingness for a mutual relationship. (Mutual I guess is the wrong word, because we can never love Him as much as He loves us, but our willingness to strive for such a mutual love is His greatest pleasure. ( That and worshiping Him).

Tomorrow afternoon is the dead-line to enter my Book Give-Away. Please be sure to leave a comment, follow on Google, Facebook and /or Twitter. Each action receives an entry so you can receive up to 4 entries. 1 for comment, 1 for each following. The comment can consist of telling me how you are following me if you like.

Good Night and May God Bless!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: