Saturday, July 17, 2010

The New Covenant-Communion & The Liberty of God's Word


Good Evening to All!

Let me say, I thought this was a strange time of year to be posting about communion, but I am posting out of my Devotional Book, for the specific day and week. After I thought about this for a little bit, God reminded me that we need to remember the Last Supper always. It shouldn't depend on the time of year, or what holiday is coming. I have been telling myself I need to listen more closely to what God wants and less of what I want, so .... here goes.

And he (Jesus) took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
Matthew 26:27-28

I wonder how many people actually seriously think about what communion really symbolizes. How many of us before drinking our "grape juice and eating our wafers actually picture ourselves back in the days partaking in the Lord's Supper? Would we be as nonchalant about participating in it as we act now? I have seen people walk up get their communion wafers and juice , then start talking to their friends like it was a social get -together. It just amazes me what people will do. Not in the church where I attend now, but many years ago, I remember seeing someone return for seconds! I guess they thought that was breakfast! I couldn't believe my eyes. True, it was a child, but the parents should have had a closer rein on him and taught him the true meaning and reason for doing communion. I wonder how many times that happens now. Parents please teach your children that there are reasons for every symbolic gesture we do and they aren't to be taken lightly.

(13) And not as Moses, which put a vail (veil) over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: (14)But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail (veil) untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail (veil) is done away in Christ. (15) But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail (veil) is upon their heart. (16) Nevertheless, when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. (17) Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (freedom). (18) But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. Just so you know, the reason I spelled veil vail, it is because it is spelled the latter way in the KJV of the Bible. I didn't want you thinking I was continuously spelling it wrong, so I correctly spelled it in the () to let you know that it was my insert and vail was the actual word used in the Bible.
II Corinthians 3:13-18

Rather than explaining the above verses in a whole or one by one, I can't help but feel pulled to a couple of those verses more than the rest. In verse 17, it talks about liberty or freedom. This is what I found in the Amplified Bible for this specific verse:

Second Corinthians 2:17 affirms that God wants us to have liberty and not legalism. Yes, I don't know how many of you have trouble with the word legalism. Maybe I am the only one. I looked it up and according to good ol' Websters, it means to adhere strictly to the letter of the law rather than the Spirit, or the doctrine that salvation is gained through good works. I have looked that word up several times and it has just now sunk in as to what it means. OK, now that that's out of the way, let's continue. The Amplified Bible defines liberty as emancipation from bondage: freedom. "If the Son liberates you, then you are really and unquestionably free," we read in John 8:36.
You may ask, "what am I free from?"

You are:

Free from the power of sin! Free from manipulation and control! Free from fear of what others think of you! Free from comparing yourself with everybody else! Free from competition with others! Free from selfishness! Free from legalism! Free to be an individual! Free to be you! Free! Free! Free!

Just remember, just because you may give your life to Jesus, this does not mean you will automatically stop sinning or making mistakes. We are ALL human. Even Paul said that he died daily, which means he had to repent and get down before God, acknowledge his sin, ask forgiveness and not do it again. There is only ONE PERFECT one who walked this earth and it was Jesus Christ. The rest of us must "strive" for perfection. It is our journey that counts. How hard we try to stay blameless. After we have received the Holy Ghost, He will help us to stay right with God, by teaching us and guiding us, but in the end, it is WE who will make the ultimate choice, so we must listen to that still small voice inside and do what it says. Before you know it, people will be coming up to you and noticing a change in your attitude, you demeanor and your whole being, (for the better). Not only that, you will feel it also, you will feel much better about yourself. I know, you're probably thinking, "there's nothing wrong with me now, why would I want to change?" As the old saying goes, "there's always room for improvement." You will definitely notice a good change in you.

We change gradually, little by little, or as II Corinthians 3:18 states, "from one degree of glory to another." While these changes take place, we still make mistakes, and God's forgiveness is always available to us through Jesus Christ. Receiving this forgiveness actually strengthens us and enables us to keep pressing on toward new levels of holiness and better behavior.

On a lighter note, I was looking through Google Images for some pictures and I ran across this. As much time as I spend on the computer, I couldn't resist it.


Good Night to All and May God Bless!



Share/Bookmark

No comments: