Saturday, November 13, 2010

Food For Thought-Jehovah / Jesus


Good Evening to All!

I can't believe it! I could not come up with a title for this Post!

I hope I didn't confuse many of you by typing an earlier post, then having to delete it off of Twitter, only to re-tweet it. I noticed too late that I hadn't put a title to it, and didn't know how to or if I could correct it without deleting it and re-tweeting. Therefore, the reason for these two posts so close together.

I know that God is English for the Hebrew names : Elohim, El, Eloah, Elah, YHWH or (Yahweh). Lord is English for YHWH OR YH. Jehovah is English for HYWH. JAH is English for YH (Yah. Lord is English also for Adon, Adonai. I AM THAT I AM is English for Eheyeh asher eheyeh, I AM is English for Eheyeh. Most High God is English for El-Elyon, The God iof Sight is English for El-Roiy, Almighty God is English for El-Shaddai and Everlasting God is English for El-Olam.

The Scriptures to back these up are respectively
Gen. 1:1, 14:18; Neh. 9:17; Dan. 2:18; Gen. 15:2, 2:4; Ex. 6:3; Ps. 68:4; Josh. 3:11; Gen. 15:2; Ed. 3:14, 3:14; Gen. 14:18, 16:13, 17:1 and 21:33.

I don't know if Y'all will find this as interesting as I have, but I thought I would give it a shot. I have read these names in the Old Testament, over and over, but for some reason, ( I must give kudos to my Sunday School Teacher Brother Ford, he brought them all back and made me interested in them again. He is such a great teacher and I have learned so much from his lessons. Thank you, Brother Ford.

Of course this is not his total lesson, just some of what he brought back to my remembrance.

The Progressive Revelation of God’s Name ALL IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.

Compound names of Jehovah - Jehovah means The LORD
Jehovah-jireh-- The Lord will provide-Genesis 22:14
Jehovah-rapha--The Lord that heals-Exodus 15:26
Jehovah-nissi-- The Lord our banner/victory-Exodus 17:15
Jehovah-m’kaddesh--The Lord that sanctifies-Exodus 31:13
Jehovah-shalom--The Lord our peace-Judges 6:24
Jehovah-sabaoth--The Lord of hosts/almighty-1 Samuel 1:3
Jehovah-elyon--The Lord most high-Psalm 7:17
Jehovah-raah--The Lord is my shepherd-Psalm 23-1
Jehovah-hoseenu--The Lord our maker-Psalm 95:6
Jehovah-tsidkenu--The Lord our righteousness-Jeremiah 23:6
Jehovah-shammah--The Lord is present-Exodus 48:35

The Name of JESUS

The Name of JESUS means Jehovah-Savior or Jehovah is Salvation. It incorporates everything the Old Testament reveals about the LORD. (Jehovah).

It reveals that Jehovah has come in flesh to be our Savior
(Matthew 1:21-23).
(21) And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.” (22) So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: (23) “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel, which is translated, “God with us.”

Acts 4:12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

The Early Church..
Preached, taught, prayed, performed miracles, healed the sick, cast out demons, baptized, suffered, and rejoiced in that name.

Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

As I said, this was just a part of the lesson. I found so interesting. Hope you did as well. If you would like more documentation, I can send you the information which he gave to me, which includes explanations and scriptures. You don't have to worry, I checked with Him before I posted and it isn't copyrighted so it wouldn't be considered plagiarizing, and I know Brother Ford would be pleased to share it with all who want it.

Please be sure to take a look at the post below, as it is from earlier today. I don't know why, but I felt the urge to post twice today. I guess because I missed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, while I was busy at prepping and working at our church fundraiser. I was so tired by the time I got home I even went to bed way before my usual time.

Good night to all and May God Bless!


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post about the many titles for God... It can get kinda confusing for all of us, but there is alot to be learned about our great Lord from His titles...

Thanks for giving the subject some much needed exposure... sounds like your SS teacher is doing a great job!

Rob

lynette355 said...

my favorite name for God.....Daddy!

Anonymous said...

Jehovah-Shammah - the Lord is Present - as in "just be with me Lord" has been the focus of my relationship with Him lately. It brings me peace.

You might like my birthday prayer to my 18 year old - it focuses on the names of God:

http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/an-18-year-answer-to-a-prayer-happy-birthday/

Merry Christmas PJ! You are such a blessing with your encouragement!