Saturday, July 9, 2011

"NEIGHBORLINESS"


Good Evening to All!

Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. so too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. but a Samaritan, as he traveled, cam
e where the man was, and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him."
(Luke 10:30-34 NIV)


Jesus used this story to illustrate that a neighbor is anyone we encounter who needs our help. Neighborliness is reaching out with love to meet needs of any who need help. As Christians, we are to take on the nature of Christ. Jesus did not discriminate against anyone based on race, faith, or social background. Therefore, we shouldn't either. Christ broadened the idea of neighbor from people living near us to anyone close enough for us to help.

The beaten man, stripped of clothing, had no identification to show whether he was rich or poor, good or bad. The religious leader ad temple worker passed by without helping. If they touched a bleeding man, by Jewish law, they would have been unclean until cleared by a priest. they chose pride and isolation by refusing to help. Busyness and "holiness" are poor excuses to avoid helping someone in need, yet how often do we make excuses? Maybe not these same instances, but excuses just the same. I'm ashamed to admit I have. I have seen people walking down the road even in the heat or cold and told myself I didn't have time to stop for them. Besides I didn't know where they might be going, and gas is so expensive now days, I try to make every drop count. SHAME ON ME! I sit here and confess this and in the same moment the thought comes to mind my favorite quote that I am continually using is "what goes around, comes around". Boy! I had better change my shameful attitude in this respect.

the pity and compassion of the Samaritan inspired his great generosity and personal care. We can have tender hearts when we are thankful for God's forgiveness and when we practice patience, gentleness, and kindness. Neighborliness
can be as simple as helping and elderly woman load her groceries into her car in the parking lot, or as I have encountered recently, someone opening a heavy glass door into a store for me as it hurt me to push hard with fractured ribs.

I am so thankful for this devotional which I read tonight. I really made me stop and check my own spirit. It made me reflect on my own actions and needs for an attitude adjustment. I really try to "practice what I preach", and live as Jesus would have me to live, but as humans do, we forget sometimes and need to be reminded of who's image we are created and act accordingly.

Good night to All and May God Bless!

Share/Bookmark

No comments: