Monday, August 8, 2011

"A BEAUTY SECRET"


Good Evening to All!

Before we get into this devotion, let me say that I sincerely believe he is speaking on doing things to an excess. He wants us to care more about out inward appearance than our outward appearance. He speaks on not adorning ourselves with gold and silver because He wants us to be more like Christ. Christ dressed simple and acted humble. God doesn't want us wearing so much gold and silver that people are more interested in what we are wearing rather than our good hearts and spirits. He wants people to see Him through us. Through our spirits and they cannot do that when they are distracted by lots of jewelry, make-up and fancy hair dos. The same with the hair and such. I have another opinion on it but I will leave that for another post.

Whose adoring let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; (4) But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. (5) For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: (6) Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement. (1 Peter 3:3-6 KJV)

The Amplified Version states it this way: Let not yours be the [merely] external adorning with [elaborate] interweaving and knotting of the hair, the wearing of jewelry, or changes of clothes; but let it be the inward adorning and beauty of the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible and unfading charm of a gentle and peaceful spirit, which [is not anxious or wrought up, but] is very precious in the sight of God.

For it was thus that the pious women of old who hoped in God were [accustomed] to beautify themselves and were submissive to their husbands [adapting themselves to them as themselves secondary and dependent upon them] . . .. .

Sarah obeyed Abraham [following his guidance and acknowledging his headship over her by] calling him lord (master, leader, authority). And you are now her true daughters if you do right and let nothing terrify you.

The apostle Peter wrote this passage in a letter to persecuted Christians not long after the church began. Living among people who were hostile to faith in God could definitely cause fear and anxiety, but he know that doing the right thing no matter what the adversity was the answer because God would right every wrong.

True beauty come from inside with charm, peace, and gentleness. I know it easy to say this when I'm not facing a life threatening disease, or loss of a job. It's easy to talk about this when I haven't just wrecked the only transportation in the family. This advice comes easy when I don't have a child or spouse addicted to alcohol or drugs, or that is just constantly making bad decisions.

I think I need to take a closer look and also some lessons from Sarah, Abraham's wife. She developed her inner beauty by basing their actions on trust in God. I know it won't be easy to do, because when Abraham acted foolishly, Sarah still showed him respect. I'm sure if he made a bad decision she didn't push it and make a point of not trusting his decisions again, or at least having worrisome thoughts about them. (All of which I do). I use the excuse "well, he (my hubby) rubs my nose in my mistakes all the time, my hubby constantly criticizes me. See a pattern? I make myself miserable by telling myself these things and justifying my
disrespect toward him. NO MORE! I'm going to take a stand. You know what ? I bet if I change my attitude, he will also.

I am going to start developing my "inner beauty".

I like what the author of my devotional book said. "God's charm school emphasizes considering others' needs before our own. God's Daughters have hope because we believe God's promises. When faith lets go of worry, you feel free to smile and let your inner peace shine out to all.

A quick thought. Can you imagine how much better this world would be if we concentrated on enhancing our inner beauty as much as we do our outer beauty? I know some women who spend an hour or more just putting on make-up. I can read several devotions in that amount of time.
And the beauty bonus? Inner beauty never wrinkles or fades.

The Answers to last night's Bible Challenge "Who Was I?" Part 3 are as follows:

1. b) I emerged from the womb with a red string tied to my hand (Genesis27-30)
2. b) Aaron (Numbers 20:28)
3. d) Philistines (Judges 16:23, 1 Samuel 5:2-5)
4. c) benefactors (2 Samuel 19:32)
5. b) Solomon (2 Samuel 12:24-25)
6. b) two of God's chosen craftsmen (Exodus 31:1-6)
7. c) disciples (Luke 24:18)
8. c) Paul (Acts 27:1-3)
9. d) Judas' successor with the apostles (Acts 1:23-26)
10. b) Felix (Acts 24:24)

I hope you did well o the Challenge!

Good Night to All and May God Bless!

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Christie Cottage said...

Great post!

<><

Starry Dawn said...

Hi PJ,
Yes!! I agree with you.
Beauty comes from the inside.
Many folks show off their belongings, but true beauty is in the heart, not in material things that vanish with time. Flesh will perish. Spirit will last forever.
Great post, PJ. I just love when you do an introduction for the readers to ponder and think, before you begin with your devotional. I call it, a wonderful inspirational message. My comment for today's post is a thought provoking post, great food for thoughts, sweet PJ. Keep them coming, just like that. God keeps blessing you, PJ, and those you love!! All the best.
Blessings,
Poet Starry.

Becky (So Very Blessed) said...

I definitely needed this post today! I'm not one who spends a ton of time focusing on my outer appearance most of the time, but I DO need to focus more consciously on developing my inner beauty every morning.

This would be a great reminder to have on my mirror in the morning when I'm getting ready to remind myself of my priorities.

This has really blessed me, PJ. I really appreciate you taking the time to write it!