Monday, January 9, 2012
"WHAT IS YOUR PRIORITY?"
Good Evening to All!
I write to you, little children, Because you have known the Father. (14) I have written to you, fathers Because you have known Him who is from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, Because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, And you have overcome the wicked one.
(15) Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (16) For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. (17) And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
(28) And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.
(1 John 2:13-17, 28 NKJV)
God's Word says we live in the world, but we are not to be partakers of the world. There is nothing wrong with going out shopping. I enjoy at least one or two cokes EVERY DAY. On the days I go into town and clean houses, I stop by our the convenience store and buy the person I'm cleaning for and myself a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit.
(16) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. (17) Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. (18) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
(2 Corinthians 6:16-18 NKJV)
Idols are anything that take precedence over God. Whether it's things that keep us from attending church, keep us from reading our Bibles, praying. When we start enjoying doing things and having material things that we think more of than God then we need to rethink our priorities.
What I am getting at is that when it gets to the point that we can't be satisfied with what we have, that we can't seem to get enough of what we want,or make enough money to be content, then I would have to say we have some VERY MESSED UP PRIORITIES. When we think more about the things of this world such as material things, and worldly entertainment than we do the spiritual side, it is time to do some soul searching and reflection. We are giving the "world" too much of ourselves. We belong to God, and we need to remember that and act like it. I know I am guilty of it and have to give myself a "swift kick" and get back on track as to what is important.
When we tend to over-do shopping, or enjoying the things of this world, there is usually an underlying cause. It may be we are trying to validate our worth, it might be that we have a void in our lives that we think owning things or drinking and partying will fill. I know from experience that won't happen. I knew a person who would go shopping and spend quite a sum of money when she got angry. I tried it one time, and it didn't help my mood at all. All it did was make me feel guilty, so I took everything I bought back to the store the next day! LOL! My hubby really loves that about me.
The point I am trying to make is that there is nothing wrong with shopping, but we need to check our reasons and keep a handle on the importance we are placing on the things of this world. It doesn't even have to be shopping, it could be all sorts of things that the "world" has to offer. If we know it is against God's wishes for us to do it, then we should not do it. If whatever it is is taking our time away from the things of God, then we need to get back on track with the things of God and spending time with Him. God set the priorities for us.--GOD FIRST, FAMILY SECOND and then everything else. (If we place God first, then everything else will naturally fall into place because it will be HIS plan.
As far as shopping and spending money, it's a proven fact, the more money you make the more you spend so the more you want to make. It is a vicious circle. Therefore one is NEVER satisfied, unless we STOP in our tracks and just say THAT'S ENOUGH.
We are getting down to the nitty-gritty. His time is almost here. We are in the latter days. I know people have been saying that since the 1940's but if they were saying it back then, then look how much closer we are to it today.
We all need to get our priorities straight. We need to re-read the parable of the 5 wise virgins and 5 foolish virgins, and make sure that our lamps are filled so that we will be ready for Him when He comes. (Matthew 25:1-13) We don't want to be caught short or unaware, because He won't wait for us to get right.
The answers to last night's Bible Challenge "Mountains" are as follows:
1. c) Ararat (Genesis 8:4)
2. b) Moriah (Genesis 22:2)
3. d) Horeb (Exodus 3:1)
4. Sinai (Exodus 19:20, 31:18)
5. b) Hor (Numbers 20:22-29)
6. d) Pisgah (Deuteronomy 34:1-4)
7. d) Elijah vs. the false prophets (1 Kings 18:20-40)
8. d) Hermon (Deuteronomy 4:48)
9. b) Olivet ( 2 Samuel 15:30)
10. d) not named (Matthew 28:16-20)
I hope you did well on the Challenge and had fun doing it.
Good Night to All and May God Bless!