Thursday, March 8, 2012

"A BIT OF CONTROL"


Good Evening To All!

By putting a bit into the mouth of a horse, we can turn the horse in different directions. It takes strong winds to move a large sailing ship, but the captain uses only a small rudder to make it go in any direction. Our tongues are small too, and yet they brag about big things.

It takes only a spark to start a forest fire! The tongue is like a spark. It is an evil power that dirties the rest of the body and sets a person's entire life on fire with flames that come from hell itself . . . .Our tongues get out of control. They are restless and evil, and always spreading deadly poison.

My dear friends, with our tongues we speak both praises and curses. . . Can clean water and dirty water both flow from the same spring? (James 3:3-6, 8-11 CEV)

I usually like to use the King James Version for my scriptures, but this seem a straight forward way to put my thoughts.

I can't count the times that I have to ask the Lord to bridle my tongue or even ask forgiveness for saying something which I did not catch in time.

Have you ever noticed how it takes just a small item to take control of things? Take for example a horse, that big graceful animal which looks so powerful can be kept under control by a bit in his mouth. With just that small instrument of leather and metal can guide a 200 or 300 pound animal this way and that to stop him or to get him to move. A small remote control can control a large electronic machine like an air conditioner or television set with just a push of a button.

Our tongue have the power of life and death in them. For such a tiny member of our body, they can cause much joy or much pain. They can destroy marriages or jobs. They can tear down a child's self-esteem so bad that he will never recover. They can cause a child to excel and have self confidence beyond belief.

James wrote the above passage to help Christians live their faith daily. Our words reveal a lot about us. They reveal how we live our lives. They reveal how we live our faith. Do we abide by God's Word and lived the way God wants you to?

Have you ever been two-faced? I mean acted like you liked someone to their face, then turned around after they left and bad mouthed them to your friends? Have you received a gift and thanked that person only to turn around and complain about it behind their back? How about this one. Having a nice conversation on the phone, then pushing the mute button on the for to yell at your children?

Uh-oh, I'm busted ! I've even done this one. Yelled or "griped" while driving to or from church , yet sing praises to God when you get there? I guess I'd better start paying more attention to what I'm doing. I better repent for that at the altar Sunday as well. I never really thought about that . I mean I don't yell where anyone can hear me. (What an excuse!) It still came out of my mouth, which gave Satan an opening to take control of my tongue. If you don't remember any other verse, remember this one. OUT OF THE ABUNDANCE OF THE HEART, THE MOUTH SPEAKETH! Actually, the complete verse is O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. (Matthew 12:34 KJV) This verse has helped me tremendously. I
admit, I still slip sometimes, but I'm much better than I used to be. And my progress is due to this verse. I don't want "garbage in my heart", and if I say things I shouldn't, then I realize that I need to check my spirit and ask God to cleanse my heart and renew within me a right spirit.

We need to rely on the Holy Spirit to guide our words, and use our tongues to build people up, not tear them down. We need to use our tongues to encourage, not discourage. We need to use our tongues to spread God's love and not Satan's hate.

Another favorite verse of mine is Philippians 4:8--Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I know that verse is pertaining to positive thoughts, but if we think positive thoughts, then positive words will roll off our tongues.

Good night to All and May God Bless!

3 comments:

Rob said...

Pj,

Once again, youve hit the nail on the head. How often have I said someone unthinkingly, that has hurt someone I love. And the sad part is once we say it, we can never REALLY take it back. What is said is said and will stick to those who are hurt.

Thank the Lord for forgiveness on the part of those who have been hurt!

Lord bless

Rob said...

Pj,

Once again, youve hit the nail on the head. How often have I said someone unthinkingly, that has hurt someone I love. And the sad part is once we say it, we can never REALLY take it back. What is said is said and will stick to those who are hurt.

Thank the Lord for forgiveness on the part of those who have been hurt!

Lord bless

Cranston Roofing said...

Awesome blog you havve here