Tuesday, March 6, 2012

"JUDAS - A HANGING THAT DIDN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN"



Good Evening to All!

Then Judas, which has betrayed him, (Jesus) when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, (4) Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that. (5) And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus for a price equivalent of about $17.00. Before tonight, I had heard this story MANY, MANY times, but tonight was different. Our visiting Pastor came at it from a different direction. When we think of Judas, we think of that "horrible person" who betrayed our Lord and Savior. The thing is Jesus knew all along that this was going to happen. It was for THIS PURPOSE, that He (God) robed Himself in flesh and came to earth as a human, to shed His blood for our sins.

For some reason, I never looked at this scripture in this way. I never paid attention to
the fact that Judas actually REPENTED. I guess I was just so caught up in the actual deed, the betrayal, that I didn't look at his returning the money and trying to right this wrong as Repentance.

The truly sad part of his debacle was his action after he left the Priests. What he did nex
t was proof that he doubted Jesus.

Jesus had told his disciples, Judas included, that He would be killed to save us from our sins, so Judas knew this, yet he allowed Satan to sneak doubt or criticism in on him and Judas let Satan's deceptions get the best of him, so riddled with guilt and unable to handle it, he ha
nged himself.

Now, If I may be so bold, I would like to use my imagination a bit and imagine a
conversation between Jesus and Judas after Judas died. Yes, Judas and Jesus met. I say this because in God's Word (Ecclesiastes 12:7) it says that when we die our bodies turn back to dust, and our soul returns to God. In my mind's "ear", I can just hear Jesus asking Judas why did you kill yourself? Why did you give up on Me? Give up on you, Jesus? I didn't give up on You. I betrayed you. I tried to take it back but it was too late! I just couldn't handle the thought of what I had done to my beloved Jesus. Jesus tells him, I told you that in three days I would rise from the dead and all sins could be forgiven for the asking, including being betrayed by you, but you gave up. You just couldn't wait those three days. If you had waited for Me to come back, then you would have been completely forgiven. You could still be alive and ministering to others, but you made the wrong choice. Now because of that choice, you have not been forgiven, so you cannot be in heaven with me.

I can't help but wonder how many of us give us as easily as Judas did.
The difference is we don't have to wait three days. Our forgiveness can be instantan
eous if we will repent. He has already shed His blood for our sins, so there is no waiting required as in Judas' case. He just allowed Satan to get the best of him, just as we sometimes do.

That devil has a way of twisting words and manipulation that unless we are prayed up, and have strong faith he can whip us around til we don't know what's true and what's Satan's deceptions. This is why we must be vigilant in our prayer life, and be in His Word studying to know the truth.
Judas cut his life short for no reason. If he would have just had more faith in what Jesus was telling them as the truth, the devil would not have had a chance at deceiving him into beating himself down.

Good Night to All and May God Bless!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi PJ. I just stopped in to say hi and was glad to see this post. This has always been a curious subject to me. I've always felt kind of sorry for Judas. I know crazy. right? But I was remember hearing that our lives are mapped out before we are even born. If this is the case did Judas really have a choice? Wasn't it all a part of Gods plan? In that case was Judas doomed from birth to complete Gods plan? I also remember hearing that God gives us free will to make our own choices in life. To chose the path that our life will take. So which is it? Was it un-avoidable for Judas to turn Jesus over to Priest?

I've always wondered about that and if his fate was pre-determined. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know if I could have keep from committing that same unforgivable sin if I knew I had betrayed the savior myself.

Thanks for bring up this subject and giving me the chance to ask you about something I've thought of so often.

I also wanted to let you know that I really do appreciate the award you gave me. I've been battling my own bad week here(moods) and have had trouble completing anything so I haven't even had a chance to write about it and pass it own.

Hope you know I love you. Just printed out your last 2 post and taking them to bed to read.

Sweet dreams Sugar....

Frank E. Blasi said...

The case of Judas Iscariot was a tragic case. With three years of his life with Jesus - listening to his preaching, his discussions, how he answered the Pharisees, and of course healing the sick, casting out demons and even raising the dead. On top of all these, Jesus actually proclaimed himself to be the Messiah. But Judas never believed, and the Lord knew this throughout his ministry. Even the Old Testament contained prophecies about Judas. He had all this time to believe, yet all he was interested in was the money bag, from which he even pilfered.
Here is the case of the foreknowledge and sovereignty of God versus human choice. It seems contradictory - usually the core of the Calvinism/Arminian debate. Yet both are true - the sovereignty of God and human choice are both true and taught in the Bible.

Frank E. Blasi said...

Dear PJ,
Thank you for your comment to my post, and I apologise that some of the things I write are above your understanding. Furthermore, I sincerely apologise for using jargon without realising that not everyone is familiar with these terms.
But let me explain in, I hope, the simplest terms about the Calvinist/Arminian debate.
The fate of Judas Iscariot had always been the centre point of this debate. The general question is: Was the suicide and eternal loss of this man due to not belonging to Christ from the beginning? Or did he simply decided on his own fate?
John Calvin taught the Sovereignty of God - which meant that Judas never belonged to Christ from the beginning. John 17 is the main chapter on this teaching, which became known as Calvinism.
Jacobus (James) Arminius challenged Calvin on this issue, insisting that our eternal destiny is entirely on our decision, and it our our choice whether we become God's children or remain belonging to the Devil. This teaching is called Arminianism.
My own standing is moderate Calvinism. This means that although I chose to believe in Christ for salvation, Christ chose me to be his own from eternity past, and he already knew, long before I was born, that a day would come that I would repent and believe.
You can read my full blog on this subject, "Once Saved Always Saved, how did this originate?" published 10/04/2011.
I hope this has been helpful to you.
God bless,
Frank.