Sunday, February 23, 2014

"FAITH--HAVE A LITTLE, BUILD A LOT!"

Good Evening to All!

We had an interesting message Wednesday night. The subject of “faith” was reintroduced to us in a new light. 

I love hearing messages about faith.  Each time even though the same scriptures may be used, I hear something different.  Something that makes me sit up and take notice. 

We know that according to Hebrews 11:6, that it is impossible to please God without faith. According to His Word, “But without faith it is impossible to please Him (God): for he that cometh to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. 

In Hebrews 11:1, it is said, “Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen. Have you ever thought about that statement?

Let's break it down. What is substance? According to Webster's Dictionary, substance is mass, form, and tangible means. Another definition for it is reality or actuality.

What is evidence? Again, according to the dictionary, it is that which furnishes proof. Therefore, if we substituted the definitions for the words in the verse it is saying, “Now Faith is the reality or actuality of things hoped for, and the proof of things not seen. We can't get much more plain about faith.

It is disturbing to me how misunderstood this subject can be. A lot of people believe that God gave us a “measure of faith” and that is sufficient for God to do anything. This cannot be further than the truth. Yes, In Romans 12:3, God says “For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 

The Amplified Version said it this way: “For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me, I warn everyone among you not to estimate and thing of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him.

In Matthew 17:20, Jesus said to His disciples, “Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.” (KJV)

People often mistake this verse to mean that if you have that small bit of faith then they can move mountains. In actuality, it is talking about the growth of faith. While the mustard seed is a very tiny seed, the type that is over in the Middle East” grows to be a large bush, the size of a small tree. This verse is speaking of putting our faith into action and making it grow. The more trust and faith we show in God's ability, the more He will do for us.

If the “measure of faith that God originally gave to us was enough, then why has he criticized people through out the Bible, by saying “oh, ye of little faith”, or “because of your unbelief” and many other observations? It is because just like was expected in the parable of the talents where the servants were supposed to invest and increase the talents, He expects us to make our faith grow, as our walk with Him matures. This is done by allowing Him to deal with our situations and problems rather than trying to do things on our own.

Just like Jesus' criticism of little faith, and unbelief, He also praised for great amounts of faith. There was a centurion who was beseeching Him and wanting him to heal his palsy stricken servant. Look at his example of faith. Jesus was going to go and heal him, but In Matthew 8:8-10: The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only and my servant shall be healed. (9) For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. (10) When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

Now, that was faith! Too many of us today have to “see” with our own eyes before we believe. We have to watch something happen. Truthfully, that is not faith.

Faith is a lifestyle, just as worship and prayer. We must nurture it and help it to grow. The more we allow God to handle our situations, the more our faith will grow. Unfortunately, I know this does not come overnight. I say this because sometimes I still have trouble letting God take the reins. Not that I think I can do a better job than He, I just have trouble giving up control.

We must work on it daily, just as we work on our prayer life and our worship. I'm sure not many of us when we first developed a relationship with God, started out praying for an hour each day. I'm sure not all of us have gotten to the point where we can walk up to the altar, and throw up our hands in worship. It takes baby steps.

While I have been in a personal relationship with God for about 16 years and have matured in my worship, my prayer life is still something I have to work on. I haven't attained the personal goal of an hour a day yet. ( I do pray off and on all day) but I would like to get to the point where I could pray for an hour straight.

My lifestyle of faith, still needs work as well. I do have faith that God can do anything, yet I have trouble at times giving things over to Him. I still have the mentality at times that He can do all things for others, but for “me” I'm not so sure. Then again there are times when I feel that He will move mountains for me. I have seen Him do it. That is why I get so frustrated with myself, because I have seen what He can and will do for others AS WELL as myself, yet I allow doubt to creep into my mind. 

I have to keep reminding myself that doubt is of the devil. The devil is a liar and will try and cloud our judgment any way he can. I just need to keep building my faith, which means continuing to give every problem, every situation, no matter how big or how small to God, and watch Him at work. HE will take care of me. 

Have a Wonderful Day and May God Bless!







Share/Bookmark





1 comment:

Christie Cottage said...

Wonderful post today. Faith... I have faith but I think we could all let our faith grow more and more!

Have a blessed day and thank you for sharing God's love

<><