Tuesday, June 24, 2014

"HEAVEN OR HELL ISSUE" What a Silly Question!


Hello Everyone!

I am going to get back into the swing of things. My blog has been laying heavy on my heart because I had gotten away from it. I could feel in my spirit that God did not want me to quit writing and this post is what turn me around. I hope you glean something from it as I did from my Pastor's Sunday School lesson. It really opened my eyes.

I have to say I sometimes am amused at people. Especially those who “claim” they are Christians, yet are always debating the issues of whether something we do will keep us from entering our Eternal Home with God.  Too many times, have I heard people comment about something being a "heaven or hell issue".  That to me is just plain silly. 


My statement to them is, if you have to wonder about it, then just don't do it. To me it is no different than coming to a 100 foot cliff and thinking about jumping, but wondering if it will kill you or if you will end up with a few broken bones. Would you attempt it, just to find out? I doubt it.


My thought which brought this up was our Sunday School lesson yesterday. My Pastor read the story about the rich young man who wanted to inherit eternal life. He asked Him what he should do. Jesus went through most of the Ten Commandments, and the man said he had done that from his youth. Then Jesus said he must do ONE more thing. Go and sell everything he had and give the money to the poor. At this, the man lowered his head and sadly walked away. He was rich, and couldn't bring himself to do this so he missed the opportunity. (Mark 10:17-22)


I don't think Jesus is asking us to sell all we have to have eternal life, but just out of curiosity, what ONE THING could you give up to become closer, and have a deeper relationship with Christ? I know we ALL have at least one thing we could give up, whether it is something as simple as dressing more modestly, or something as difficult as quitting smoking or drinking. I KNOW how difficult these too things are because I did them. WITH GOD'S HELP, I quit smoking and drinking. I know that I could not have done it without Him, because I tried.


The thing I am doing myself, to gain a closer walk and relationship with my Father is to reconnect with my blog, and continue His Work, as well as develop a stronger prayer life. I pray all during the day while I am doing things, but I want to get used to having a specific time on my knees each day in prayer. I need to pray not only for what I need, but also the needs of others including our country, and community.


Instead of asking, “is this a Heaven or Hell issue, we should ask, “how will this (the issue) affect my relationship with Jesus Christ. You see, not all things are specifically mentioned in the Bible. For example, the Bible does not say, “You shall not smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. Smoking and drinking defiles our bodies. It makes us sick. 1 Corinthians 10:23 tells us “All things are lawful for me, (Paul) but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.” To put it more plainly, I go to the Message Bible which states “Looking at it one way, you could say, “Anything goes. Because of God's immense generosity and grace, we don't have to dissect and scrutinize every action to see if it will pass muster.” But the point is not to just get by. We want to live well, but our foremost efforts should be to help others live well. This can be done by being an example to others by our behavior, and character. We should each ask ourself this question.” Do the things I do and the attitudes I project promote growth in my Christian character?


Getting by is not good enough. We need to concentrate on our relationship with Christ. We CANNOT ALLOW the debate of “heaven or hell issues” to govern us. Again, if we have to ask ourself this question, we should not do it. We should look at our actions from the stand point if we are doubtful then our spirit is telling us not to do it. Remember, God does not cause doubt or confusion. Therefore play it safe and don't put your soul at risk.


God is not the “big teddy bear in the sky”. He is Not “the man up stairs. He is HOLY and demands that we edify Him. Jesus has always wanted His church to stand out and be different from the world. (if you will remember, Satan is the ruler of this world, if that tells you anything). We must check ourselves daily, and ask is what I am doing going to keep me from doing what God wants and expects of me?”. The “basics” are not enough We have to develop a full-blown relationship with Him. This is done by prayer, and our actions, as well as studying His Word. This is the ONLY way to get to know Him for WHO He really is.


What is the main thing I need to change about my life, what do I need to get rid of or stop doing ? What is the one thing that is questionable?


Ask yourself these questions and then change one thing a day, or one thing a week. Just do what you have to do to become “A Friend of God”. Are you the young man I spoke about who isn't willing to step out of your comfort zone or give up something that has no beneficial meaning to your eternal soul? To show Him how you feel, or do what He ask of you in your heart, or will you take a step forward and let Christ know that you are willing to do as He requires of you to spend an eternity with HIM?

Remember, these are questions that will determine where our souls will spend eternity.  Think about it logically.  There is no such thing as limbo.  There are only two choices.  Would you want someone living with you that didn't love you?  if we truly love Him, we will be willing to do or give up whatever is in our lives that would keep us from having a close relationship with Him.


Good Night to All and May God Bless!



Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti,

Welcome back. A genuine salvation experience is shown by the existence of love for the Lord and others. If we do not love the Lord and desire to have fellowship with Him it is proof that we were never saved.

Lord bless you. I hope you and your husband are doing well.