Friday, December 4, 2009

Finally! A Post ! Stuck in Stubbornness

Good evening to all!

Before I get started, please let me apologize for such a blah pictureless post. I don't know if its because my internet server is so slow or what, but Zemanta won't download, and all of my personal pictures won't either. The Branson pictures I took and downloaded on here will, but I don't have any that go along with this post. I am adding this little paragraph after the fact. I'm telling you this because in my post I let you know that I haven't read the Devotional before I started typing it and that's true. Anyway, I didn't have any pictures to go on here. I wish I knew what the problem is. Zemanta isn't even loading on my desktop computer. I think it's because the server is so slow, but then again, what do I know?

I am so sorry I have missed the last couple of days of posts. This internet and I have been going round and round! At first I blamed the internet, because we live out in the country and our phone lines won't handle DSL, so we have satellite. As I think I said before, if it's overcast or bad weather, I can forget it. Well, then I noticed that I could bring up my emails and go from site to site with no problem. So I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the internet. After more thinking (and getting a horrible headache) I have about decided that it has more to do with the link between my blog and Internet Explorer, because I am able to bring up my blog and read it, go from blog to blog and even leave comments. The only thing I cannot do is type New posts and edit. That is only on my desk top computer. Right now, I've pulled out my laptop and it's working fine. Slow, but at least it is allowing me to post!. I tried it last night, but I couldn't get Hughes Net to come up. (My satellite). I DO NOT RECOMMEND SATELLITE!!!!! IT IS SO FRUSTRATING. They have peak hours, also, you are only allowed so many hours on the internet, then it slows down to nothing. My hubby started out paying $60.00 a month and we were off more than on. He graduated to $80.00, and we still have problems. He even gives up time on there so that I can be on it. (He's so sweet). Just know that if you don't see new posts from me for several days at a time, you know it's because my internet, or computer is acting up. hopefully, it won't happen too often.

In light of the previous paragraph, I introduce my Bible Seeds Devotional,

Stuck In Stubbornness

I would like to say that these symbols *** I am using tonight to note my own thoughts. I wanted to do this so you would know that they are my opinions and not part of the professional Devotional.

Today's Seed: "The Israelites are stubborn, like a stubborn heifer. How then can the Lord pasture them like lambs in a meadow? Hosea 4:16

Stubbornness can clearly be identified in the life of a toddler. He or she resists the leading and prompting of the person watching over them. If we could peer into the heart and mind of such a child, we would probably detect an attitude that says, " I want what I want, and I want it now!" Unfortunately, we don't automatically outgrow that stubborn attitude.

The prophet Hosea had the job of reminding the Israelites to be faithful to God. He gave the people multiple warnings against idol worship and defiling themselves through pagan practices. Yet they disregarded his warnings, even though they they had witnessed God's miracles and had a long history of being God's chosen people. The more they sinned, the farther they went from fellowship with "God and the more stubborn they became.

Could God have forced His people to follow Him? Certainly. But His desire was to lead them gently into a closer relationship (pasture) and to spare them from any harsh punishments. Whenever our heels, (the fleshy, callused part we walk on) are planted in stubbornness, we, like the Israelites, cannot be led. In addition, God cannot give us the good things He desires to give.

*** I cannot count the times I have "dug in my heels" about something. Whether it was an opinion and not wanting to hear another's point of view, or to admit I am wrong. Thank goodness I am working on that and am a lot better than I used to be. I still catch myself hating to admit I'm wrong sometimes, but I'm slowly but surely giving my attitudes to God. I've still got a long way to go, but I am really working on it and with God's help, I'll continue to progress. Another one of my faults is that I will stay on a subject until hubby finally says " you win". Unfortunately, most of the time he gets upset (which after I think about it I don't blame him) and hurts my feelings. Our latest thing was just yesterday. We were talking about a trip that we were supposed to go on in February. Until yesterday, he acted like he was all excited about going. He's been talking about it for months. Anyway, he started talking about the money it would cost, so like a good wife (or so I thought) I said well, hon, if you're gonna stress out over the cost of it and the bills, we don't HAVE to go. (deep down, I was wanting him to say, no, we're going, it will be ok. He didn't. He said "well, if you don't want to go we won't. I don't think that's what I said. Needless to say, I made things worse because I tried to clarify what I had said, which made him angry. I couldn't win. I should have kept my mouth shut. The Stubbornness came into play because I was bound and determined that he was going to understand that I did not say I didn't want to go, and I just made it worse. We haven't spoken about it since. I guess we'll be staying home in February. Originally, he was the one saying he wanted to go somewhere warm in February. He has really bad arthritis from his neck down. OK, enough whining.

Dig Deeper: "Stubborn" comes from the Hebrew word, carar, which translates to slide back. We usually think of a stubborn person as staying in one spot, but God sees that person as sliding backwards away from him.

***In the Bible, it equates stubbornness with rebellion, and rebellion with witchcraft, which He abhors, so that should tell us how badly God feels about stubbornness.

Background Bulb: Animals are notorious for being ornery. We need animal trainers, shepherds, and handlers to herd and to teach them appropriate behaviours. In Hosea 4:16, God compares Israel too a stubborn heifer--a young cow who, being just barely over the age of one, will not budge. The nation of Israel experienced hardships as a result of sin. Warring tribes were allowed to overtake them, they wandered in the wilderness far longer than necessary and many died before entering the Promised Land of Canaan.

Weed & Water: Stubbornness, when it takes hold in a person's heart, can lead to true rebellion. We can suffer consequences as the result of stubbornness. Friends may get mad at us, we hurt others deeply, or we may walk far away from God.

One of the best ways we can show our devotion to the Lord is by confessing sinful habits such as "digging in our heels" when we should be open to his plans for our lives. Through daily prayer we have the opportunity to guard our hearts, minds, and spirits against stubbornness. By doing so, we will slowly but surely begin to more closely resemble a gentle lamb.

***I think this devotion was actually meant for me. I had no idea what it was going to be about. I opened the book, and saw the word stubbornness, and thought of yesterday, but I didn't actually read the devotion until I started typing it. I am getting it as I type.

Think about it: Name two situations in which you might have been as stubborn as the Israelites or a toddler.

Which is more likely to please God, a tender heart or an unyielding one.

Prayer Pot: Dear God, please help me to ....

Check the heels of your heart. They will either be stuck in the mud and mire or free to move on with God.

May you take at least a small seed from this garden of knowledge (not mine, but God's alone) and be a happier person for it.

Good Night to All and May God Bless!

PJ

1 comment:

lynette355 said...

first i am sorry about the internet issues and i have no answers

but
stubborn oh yes i can get quite stubborn too. and i know it is not good for me
but the other is pride
they go hand in hand