Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dealing with Grumblers

Good Evening to All!

Boy! Did this lesson speak to me! I remember when I was younger, I was cheerful pretty much all the time. Always looked for the bright side in everything. It seems the older I got, the grumpier I got. This lesson is a turning point for me. I will no longer be a "grump". Misery loves company, and other comments, but I won't go into detail. Just note that I have complained about complainers. LOL! This lesson was like a mirror to me. Not that I do that all the time, but God doesn't like us to do it at all. So as of tonight, I ask God's forgiveness for being a complainer and murmurer and repent. I will not do it again, at least not on purpose. If I happen to do it again during one of my posts, I would appreciate it if someone would leave a comment and let me know. I tend to do a lot of things without realizing it. Thank you for your attentiveness in advance. It is "good" to be accountable to someone other than my hubby. He likes to get me riled. His "mentor" is Don Rickles, (by HIS admission). Needless to say, I have learned not to take his criticisms seriously although they do tend to hurt sometimes. Anyway, I appreciate y'all holding me accountable for my repentance.

Today's Seed:"These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage." Jude 1:16

Don't they just drive you crazy? Those grumblers we have to deal with day in and day out? Most of us don't live with a grumbler. ( If you do, sorry.) But we all know what they're like. they see the glass as half empty, tell us about it, repeatedly, and then expect us to fill it for them.

Jude talks about the ungodly men, false teachers who corrupt the grace of God. They are concerned only with themselves and their wants and needs. They speak highly of themselves and flatter others if it suits their purposes. Jude explains that the grumblers and faultfinders are never happy.

People like this don't want to hear about logical solutions; they just want to grumble. Maybe they like the attention they get by complaining. Regardless of their motives, it helps to remember that they are unhappy people who need God's love and truth.

Grumbling and faultfinding is contagious. One day we're sitting at work, minding our own business while our co-workers grumble. The next day we listen as they grumble and add fuel to one of their complaints. The following day we chime in a little more. Before we know it--we're grumblers too!

The good news is, we can guard against this "disease" with a healthy dose of God's Word and his son Jesus Christ in our lives. Our main responsibility is to keep a firm grasp on our own attitude and remain true to God.

Dig Deeper: The Greek word for complainers ("faultfinders") is mempsimoiros, which means blaming fate and being discontented. The more we complain and find fault, the more discontented we become.

Background Bulb: Jude was eager to write about salvation, but felt compelled to warn about the false teachers and grumblers who had already wormed their way into the body of believers. These teachers had corrupted the Christian message. They told believers that if they were saved by grace they could sin all they wanted since sin wouldn't be held against them. These men were thought to be forerunners of the second-century Gnostics.

Sprout & Scatter: The next time grumblers or faultfinders take out their misery on you or someone you love, say a prayer5 that they might learn to know God and his healing ways. Respond to them in a cheerful manner, showing them the joy they are missing. If they believe untruths, try gently informing them of correct knowledge. If they accept your words, great! If not, keep your distance. Remember that we can't change them. Only God can change their hearts.

Think about it: What were the false teachers teaching?

When grumblers surround you, how can you stay positive?

Prayer Pot: Lord, help me to avoid grumbling and finding fault with....


Take-Away Idea: Stay away from grumblers and faultfinders.


Good Night and May God Bless!



Share/Bookmark

No comments: