Sunday, September 12, 2010
Bible Challenge- "WHAT'S IN A NAME?"
Good Evening to All!
When I realized what tonight's Bible Challenge was going to be, I decided to look up the meaning of my name. In Biblical times, parents named their children certain things for certain reasons. Such as the name Jacob which means "deceiver", Abraham means "Father of the faithful, Ishmael ( the son of Hagar and Abraham) means "God shall hear". He became the leader of the Arab nation. Now truthfully, I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg. After all, how did Jacob's mom and dad know he was going to be a liar and a cheat? They had no way of knowing he would lie to his dad, and cheat his brother out of his birthright.
Anyway, I decided to look up my name. Boy! Were my parents way off. They named me Patti, which of course is a derivative of Patricia. (NO Patricia is not my real name) everyone asks me if Patti is my nickname. No, it's on my birth certificate. Anyway, I'm rambling. According to the site I looked it up on, my name means "of noble descendant". I looked up "noble" and this is what it says. (1) distinguished by rank or title. (2) of or belonging to a hereditary class possessing special social or political status in a country of state. pertaining to the aristocracy and on and on. I was laughing so hard I almost cried! There has NEVER been an aristocrat in my family that I know of. We always had trouble making ends meet. Needless to say, I don't take much stock in name meanings. But, back in Biblical times they did. Like a woman who name her son after the pain she went through in child birth. I can't remember what his name was, but she actually told him that to his face! Can you imagine being stuck with a name like that all your life? Anyway, on with the Challenge!
"WHAT'S IN A NAME?"
1. God changed Abram's name to Abraham, meaning _______. (GENESIS 17:5)
a) Father of a Great Multitude
b) One Who Has found Salvation
c) Brightest Star
2. Rachel named her first son Joseph, signifying her hope that ________. (GENESIS 30:24)
a) the child would grow to subdue his older half-brothers
b) the child would win his father's heart
c) her sister Leah would bear no more children to Jacob
d) god would add to her another son'
3. God changed Jacob's name to Israel after Jacob: (GENESIS 32:24-28)
a) cursed Him
b) fought Him
c) forsook Him
d) prayed to Him for a new name
4. Moses named his first son Gershom, meaning_______. (EXODUS 2:22, 18:3)
5. God replied "I Am that I Am" to which person who insisted on knowing His name?
6. The Preacher" spoke in the book of ____________. (ECCLESIASTES 1:1)
7. What famous Old Testament author is believed to have been "The Preacher"? (ECCLESIASTES 1:1)
8. Writing this name restored Zacharias' ability to speak. (LUKE 1:63-64)
9. Jesus changed Simon Peter's name to Cephas, meaning ___________ (JOHN 1:42)
a) floating vessel
b) sinking vessel
10. What infamous hill in the Holy Land has a name meaning "Place of the Skull"?
Good night and May God Bless!