Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"REPENTANCE - MORE THAN JUST 'I'M SORRY'"


Good Morning Everyone! (or should I just say "mornin''?) LOL!

I thought I would get an "early" start, so I wouldn't neglect posting tonight. Yesterday and last night was was up to my elbows (an exaggeration, really just above my wrists) in peanut butter. So far we have about 400 egg orders and more coming in. Anyway, as usual, my love for peanut butter is waning. Under normal circumstances I could sit and eat a jar just by itself with a spoon, but for about a month after this fundraiser, I CANNOT STAND the smell, let alone the taste of peanut butter! Anyone mentions the word PEANUT BUTTER and I run the other way! LOL! Everything should be back on track by Friday night.

We will have them all delivered and safely in the hands of their owners by then. YAY! Needless to say, this has been the bleakest year yet for our Easter Egg Sales, but the economy has really taken its toll. I'm hoping that we get a big burst of sales on the last day.

ANYWAY, on with my post.

Have you EVER thought about REPENTANCE? Many people are confused by that word. They seem to think that it means "telling God they are sorry, asking forgiveness and then going on their merry way. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO IT.

First, let me tell you something. Repentance is a crucial part of being saved. You cannot be saved without it. Did you know that it is SO IMPORTANT, that according to God's Word, it is the only recorded reason that the Angels Rejoice in heaven? That's right. It tells us in Luke 15:7 NIV
"I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent ". That to me "shouts" important!

Let me go into a little bit more detail about this topic. First, I will explain what Repentance IS NOT. It is NOT penance. There are some cultures in this world who believe that you have to "suffer" to repent. My Pastor even mention a culture which actually crawls on glass to the church and gets to the altar with bloody hands and knees for their repentance. That is not necessary. Another beats themself on their backs to gain repentance. Folks this is not necessary. Causing pain to oneself DOES NOT constitute repentance.

Another thing, confession is part of repentance, but not the whole thing. Yes, we must confess our sins to God as well as asking forgiveness, but that is only part. We must have Godly Sorrow. In other words, prove
to God that we are changing by living for Him, wanting to have that special relationship with Him. Repentance is TURNING YOUR LIFE TOWARD GOD. Repentance MEANS to change, to turn away from our sins, BUT the second part of that is to turn TOWARD GOD. Therefore even if we do the first part and say we're sorry, and ask forgiveness, we have not truly repented yet. WE MUST start living for God.

I know I sound redundant, but I cannot stress how important it is, and people are so nonchalant about it these days, it scares me for them.

The Greek meaning for repentance is: a mind change - reconsider one's actions due to sorrow because they sinned.

Repentance is a "choice to change OUR ways and do it GOD'S way.

Before we can repent of sin, we have to recognize that we have sinned. All sins are not sins of action. Sins can be "bad spirits" such as lust, critical spirits, lying, deceit, greed and so on.

Repentance is for the "churched" as well as the "unchurched". Even the apostle Paul said "I die daily".

We cannot compare ourselves to others. This brings me to the Publican and the Pharisee in Luke 18:1-14 where the Pharisee is comparing himself and pointing out all of his "righteous" actions to God compared to the Publican. the last scripture in that passage tells us what God thought about that. Verse 14 says "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

The only thing we are to compare ourselves to is the "Word of God".

FORGIVENESS is NOT repentance, it is the RESULT of repentance.

Repentance is the "ACT OF MAN, forgiveness is the "ACT OF GOD.

Here's hoping that you all have a WONDERFUL AND BLESSED DAY today.

May God Bless!

2 comments:

Starry Dawn said...

Hi sweet Patti,
This one is an awesome post!!
I love it!! So, I would like to add my little dime about this important subject: "Repentance."
Yes!! I agree with you about the fact that it is a whole U Turn from our sins to serve the Lord, to change for the better, to be sorry for what we have said or done, sorry to have offended God, and so forth. But, what it is very important in the "Repentance Process" is to promise NOT TO DO IT AGAIN. That is the key...
Otherwise, it would be so easy for people who fall into sins, just to quickly repent, and then, do the same sins, the same wrong or evil doings all over again and again. That action won`t be a truthful action, it will be fake to my point of view. The importance of repentance is to be sorry, to ask for forgiveness to God, and to promise not to do it again, things that we do which may offend God. For instance, people who are liars will be offending God. If they truly repent with a sincere heart, they must not lie again, they must tell the truth at all times...
Christians, children of God should be humble, love and serve the Lord with a sincere heart, help the ones in need, be ready to offer a helping hand to others, and tell the truth, never lie again.
In order to change for the better, we should make a whole U Turn from sins to a worthwhile life for God, to change one little corner at a time each day to become a better person to ourselves and to God, to become successful at the end of our lives, and finally to earn Heaven. You see, it is hard to earn Heaven, we have to work hard in this world to earn the eternal life with God...
Dear Patti, I wish you have a Happy Easter with all your beloved ones!! I have already sent a couple of Emails on your way, but I am not sure whether you received them, because I haven`t got a reply from you yet.
HAPPY EASTER, DEAR FRIEND PATTI!!
I hope and pray that my comment is welcome in your Ministry.
I am a loyal Christian, and I love and trust the Lord, Jesus Christ with all my heart. God is our Savior. Let's live and serve the Lord for the rest of our lives!!
Great Post, Patti!!
God bless you and those you love!!
Love in the Lord & Blessings,
Poet Starry Dawn.

Frank E. Blasi said...

You are right, repentance does mean a change of mind. I like that arrow diagram you also posted. It says it all.
The Greek for repentance is Metanaeo, which has the root word Meta, from which we get the English words "Metamorphosis", "Metabolism", "Metastasis" and "Metazoan".
As for peanut butter, I love the stuff, but unfortunately, on my weight watch program, if I were to start eating this again, I'll balloon out!
Wishing you a peaceful Easter.
God bless,
Frank.